On the Houzz site, there is a wonderful article called “How to Hire the Right Architect.”
One of the sections talks about what to ask an architect at your first interview:
- Can I see some examples of your work?
- How would you approach this project?
- What are some of the largest obstacles on a project like this?
- How do you charge, and what are your fees?
- How long will this project take for design, building permits and construction?
- Can you give me referrals for contractors you like?
- Are there any red flags with what I want to do?
Here is a link to the whole article.